
After a LONG and exhausting journey, Ryan's sequence of serial casting is over. Our big 2 month old is scheduled for his first surgery next week. He will go under with a mild general anesthetic, and the procedure is pretty simple, I have been told - no overnight stay. According to Rinsky (Ortho Doc), Ryan will most likely need to do this again, as his feet are "pretty severe", but he said it would not involve the weekly casting that we have done thusfar.
In physical therapy, Ryan is getting to like Amy, his PT. She plays with him while stretching and he throws her back a smile or two, a few coos, and then some crying. It has become a little easier to stretch his joints - I've noticed a difference in both his knees (I get to see them the mornings we head to ortho, as I remove the casts at home), and his wrists have more movement as well. We also think we are seeing some quadriceps movement happening, which is great because initially Rinsky said there was none. Still no movement in those biceps though.
Ryan meets his new hand specialist next week, her name is Jennifer. I am anxious to hear what she has planned for Ryan's hands. He has been using splints throughout the day, which I can remove when they start to bug him and we still see good open/close movement in both hands.
The worst news of the week is that both of Ryan's hips are dislocated. We found this out last week at his ultrasound. This means that he will have surgery to try to get them into the socket. This is more of a major surgery and will not be done until Ryan is at least 6 months old. Hopefully, enough of the socket has formed so that the hip joint can stay in place. I am also told this dislocation of Ryan's hips do not hurt him at this time.
Wish us luck for next week!!! Is 6am too early to have a cocktail in the waiting room????
1 comment:
Hip dislocation is very common. My kiddo was born with her hips dislocated. Hopefully we'll see socket improvement before Ryan's six month checkup. I think there's a little boy down here in San Diego who we share a doctor with who had the same hip surgery done. I'll try to get his mom's email for you.
I'm so happy Ryan's casting is done! YEAY!!! I see ankles! Laelie had the same surgery and I worried myself silly and it was SO EASY! They wouldn't let me stay in the room, though, and kicked me out in the hall... apparently they thought I would be "distracting." Ha! They know me. :) But besides seeing some blood (which turned out to be a drop, but it speads when it hits the cast and makes it look worse than it is) and Laelie came home really exhausted, everything was fine. Actually it was a great break from serial casting! Enjoy those three weeks off.
Thanks so much for the updates and pictures!!!
Post a Comment